Friday, September 2, 2011

Safe and sound

Yesterday I finally arrived in Lviv safe and sound. It was a very exciting trip. I was originally scheduled to fly out of Charlotte on Saturday the 27th. Due to hurricane Irene we changed that to leave on Thursday the 24th so that we could be in NY and be ahead of the hurricane. All did not go as planned. New York decided to shut down on Saturday, which meant our flight was canceled. This was a let down but at the same time exciting, for the first time I would have a few free days in NYC and I would have a great story to tell about surviving the hurricane. Unfortunately the hurricane turned out to be not much more than a thunderstorm no bigger than what I was use to at home. On Saturday the city that never sleeps took a nap so there was not much to do but on Monday we were able to get out and walk up to central park. Our flight was rescheduled to Wednesday.

So Wednesday finally arrived and after a small debate with the shuttle driver that I was actually scheduled to be on the shuttle as well we headed to the airport. We got through check in, the flight had a 45min delay, then we  boarded the plane and we were off to Istanbul Turkey. It was about an 8.5 hour flight and I only got an hours worth of sleep. After we arrived it was a little confusing but we made our way to our next flight. Two hours later we were landing in Lviv. Going through customs was a breeze, although they searched on piece of luggage to see a binder I had.

Since we arrived it has been great. We arrived and showered and then headed off to worship at the student center. It was great. Everyone is extremely friendly and many speak very good English. I met one of my roommates and am excited to get to know the other. Culture shock has not been to terrible yet. The hardest part so far was bringing up this page to type my blog, it is in Ukrainian.
http://new.gbgm-umc.org/advanc​e/missionaries/biographies/ind​ex.cfm?action=details&code=302​1336

No comments:

Post a Comment