Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011. It is the ten year anniversary of that day that will always be remembered.

I have been in Ukraine for a little over a week now. I just moved into my apartment last night and it is amazing. My roommates are really awesome, and the place is great. I only have a 10 minute walk to the student center. Right now we don't have internet, but that will get ironed out in the next week or so.

I really love it here. The students are great and David and Shannon have been amazing at helping us to adjust. I still struggle with the time difference a little. I have free time in the mornings, which of course is the middle of the night for everyone back in the states, so it makes talking with them a little difficult. Another challenge is getting use to the idea that this is not the USA, holidays and days of rememberance are not the same. I have now been here through labor day, everyone here was working, and now one at home was, and now today is September 11 and it is the 10th anniversary of that day in 2001 when the towers fell. I can imagine sermons preached on this topic, flags being flown at half mass and people having a cook out or family gatherings, I can see the news coverage all day long replaying the footage of that day and memorial services. But here, it is Sunday, just like any other Sunday. It is slightly disheartening but life does go on.

I have really started to be able to get around the city using reference points to know where I am and where I need to go. I have also started seriously studying Ukrainian. I spent 3 hours in a cafe yesterday immersed in the alphabet...but I still have some work to do with it before I feel 100% on it, but reading has gotten better. I have also started finishing up all my paper work from the last few weeks that need to be turned in. When all of it is done and has been approved that will be a huge burden off my chest. This week is our first week of actually being involved and not observing. Tuesday we will help with English club, and as the rest of the week goes on we will start being more intentional about building relationships and doing research for social justices projects.

A huge highlight in my week last week was that I was able to connect with a fellow Tekoan (a fellow who worked at Camp Tekoa, but on the year that I was not there). Me and Woody have exchanged emails a few times and discussed a few things that way, but on Friday we had a phone conversation about different projects, history, and a little about ourselves. It was great to know there is not only fellow Americans here in Ukraine but a fellow North Carolinian, and it was also good to hear a voice that was some how unfamiliar because we have never spoke before and yet familiar  at the same time.

God is doing great things here in Ukraine. It is such a joy to be a part of his plan here and work along side others who are passionate about his plan.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment