Sunday, October 9, 2011

Falling into the norm

What a week it has been!

This week has felt like my first "normal" week. There was nothing extremely new, no huge cultural surprises or anything that I felt was abnormal.
Let me start with what the week looked like for me. First Monday: Monday is suppose to be my day off, but after working between 30 and 40 hours a week and classes like I have for the last year almost, and working at summer camps every summer I am still learning what a day off means. This Monday I actually did very little work on my day off, we gathered to play cards and fellowship with some other young adult missionaries we have gotten to know and then we had praise and worship with our Student Center Leadership team.
Tuesday we had English club, it was awesome, we had still 30-40 people, and the English lesson was based off of Numbers 22 with the talking donkey, so we mixed Shrek into it as well.
Wednesday I started my small group we are studying the book of Acts, there were five of us and we had a great discussion on the introduction and the first 11 verses.
Thursday was Pilgrims and it also went great, we had a guest speaker and he did extremely well. Also on Thursday I received a package from home, and it was great, I GOT LITTLE DEBBIE COOKIES!! and peanut butter and lots of other goodies.
Friday was a good day for planning for next week, we discussed the plans for English club this Tuesday and then I worked on getting ready for small group.
Saturday was yet another day off, but like I mentioned I am not good at days off, so to start Saturday we had a meeting to plan the future themes and ideas for Kids Club (Childrens Church). To this meeting I wore my sandals like I have every day almost since I have moved here, I was not expecting that the temperature would decide to stay in the 40's all day long :-(. After our meeting I hurried home and changed into wool socks boots and a nice warm jacket. From there we gathered again as a small group of American Missionaries for a day of relaxing. We did a few photos for one of the missionaries to create a slide show then we went and had coffee and lunch followed by a free concert from a christian band from the states.

It has been really great being here and I am excited for the future adventures. Everyone keeps warning me that the winters here will be a brand new thing to me because they are so cold, I guess it will be a new experience.
One observation I have made here is the Pigeons. They are everywhere, sometimes even under your feet, literally. This week I have noticed that often I am having to watch where I step when there are pigeons around so that I do not step on them because they have no fear.

Well that is all I can think of to write now thank you for reading and for praying for me. I apologize that this is very simple I have been feeling a bit under the weather due to our temperature change.

No comments:

Post a Comment