Sunday, October 2, 2011

So much in 1 month


1 Month Out of the USA. I have been living in Ukraine for a full month now and I still love it. The weather is just starting to get brisk. I have missed a week of blogging and I apologize to all my readers. We have been making adjustments and getting ready for David and Shannon to leave. And they left on Monday Sept. 26.

Since they have left things feel different. Not bad different, not good different just different. I think part of it is because I am now done being trained and I am actually working. English club last week was still at about 45 people, the week before we had 50 (that is a lot for an english club, and almost to many to fit in our student center). This Tuesday I will be leading the discussion in English club about the talking donkey in the Bible (Numbers chapter 22 I promise its there) and then show a small clip from Shrek, I'm kinda excited.
I was a little worried how Pilgrims (Thursday night worship at the student center) would got without David and Shannon, and then I was feeling below the weather. But the students and other leaders did a great job and pilgrims was great.

Yesterday I went out to start looking at a social justice out reach program we hope to get our students involved in. We had met and American Missionary and his family that came about 12 years ago and has since become a freelance missionary. One of the programs their church does is to put together a bag of groceries and every 2 weeks take them around to a few of the beggars (usually old women or disabled persons) they have built relationships with. Sometimes in these bags there are blankets, socks, or gloves as well. Not only do they deliver these bags, but as the ministry grows they have the same bags for other beggars, they do not yet know but are working towards building relationships with, that meet them at a corner near a church.
I had went to help distribute the bags, get to know a few people and to see if it would be a good ministry for our students to help with.
I received a bit more. When I showed up I was greeted warmly by Mark Blessing (the missionary) and his family. Soon others were showing up to help, including a family form Shelby North Carolina (for those of you not familiar this is only an hour or so from my home in the states). Next as we went and delivered these bags we split into groups and headed out. My group delivered 3 bags, one to a pizza shop that makes sure a lady they know needs it gets it, the second to Pani Maria (Pani means ms.) a blind elderly lady who plays the accordion on the streets to survive, and the second to Pani Maria #2 who is another blind elderly lady but she sings on the streets to survive whom we were able to pray with because she was sick. We had 2 more bags to deliver but the recipitants were not out that day.
Also from that experience I made several American friends who live around the city which is great support, it is difficult to live in a city where you are a foreigner.

Again I thank everyone for taking the time time to read this, to pray for me, and to support me in every other way possible.

1 comment: